Sailing From Panama to Colombia

Sailing From Panama to Colombia

The boundary between the two nations is characterised by thick jungle and no road was constructed through it. In part this is a result of the inhospitable terrain, and in part it’s because of a shortage of political will in the Panamanian authorities, who feared that a road could lead to Colombia´s civil attack to spill over in their own nation.

The area is called the Darien Gap and could be improved using a guide in about 6 days.

So, aside from flying, a rather dull alternative, the only other chance would be to sailing the three hundred kilometers or so in the east coat of Panama into the Colombian port of Cartagena. There is absolutely not any regular ferry service – however most sailing ship captains ply this route across the south western corner of the Caribbean Sea, and to get a fee are delighted to take passengers aboard.

The entire trip takes approximately 5 times, and has the chance to stop off in the San Blas islands, only of the Panamanian coast – that can be distant, nearly uninhabited, and home to a amazing marine life and reefs. The significant dangers are storms (that can be unpredictable) and pirates (that were known to stunt boats passing along the road).

I ordered the trip through the lodging where I had been staying in Panama City. I had a few days to wait before passing, therefore spent some time round the old city of Panama, in addition to seeing the tankers pass through the Panama Canal. He was not able to arrange last minute equipment at which he had been moored in Carti, therefore wanted me to collect those from town.

I had been shot, together with a lot of other passengers, into the little city of Carti by 4 at 5am the next morning. No issues – only a routine document check.

The morning dawned gray and muddy. As we had been traveling through the hills, this made for some spectacular scenery, as the smallest clouds sailed and wrapped round the tree tops at the lush green valleys. We came to a river, in which the bridge was nevertheless a work under construction. So, the jeep turned directly into the water, which makes the hundred yard crossing together with all the brown muddy waters piled up over the wheel arches.

By the cover of the mountain range, it had been possible to find the Caribbean shore glittering below us since the last of the clouds started to clear. There was no city , only a little hut serving as a ferry terminal, and a few ramshackle wooden jetties splashed from the incoming waves.

The motorist, together with of the people of the San Blas islands, was a part of a few of the native tribes of this area – the Kuna. They reside only on those islands, and also have been granted the right by the Panamanian authorities to manage them mainly as they want.

The ship took us into the boat that was to transport us to Cartagena. It turned out to be a 40ft sail vessel called The Dawn Treader. This was shot from a book by CS Lewis, as a portion of the Narnia Chronicles. I expected that the title indicated a calm a calm voyage, instead of an allegorical struggle between the forces of good and evil that was the subject of Lewis´s initial work.

We were satisfied with our priest, who had been called Tom. He had been a tall, blonde man from Belgium, who was drifting for many decades. He encouraged us to relax, take our shoes off and store all of the luggage in the hold.

There were seven people in total on the ship.

There wasn’t a lot of cabin space for everybody, but most of us managed to find sleeping area someplace. Tom promised us that this wouldn’t be a wonderful problem, because while the ship was anchored across the islands it’d be hot enough to sleep on deck under the stars; and although the ship was sailing panama, one or some people could be steering the ship so that there could be lots of room.

He guided us of this program for the excursion. The first day could be spent Porvenir, the second and third times stopping at various islands to snorkel, swim round shipwrecks, and await sharks, although the four and fifth times will be on open water crossing the Caribbean, with the intent of coming in Cartagena on the morning of the sixth moment.

It was just a brief distance from the ship to the island of Porvenir, therefore it was easily possible to swim – only taking care to steer clear of the reef near the shore. It was readily possible to walk round the island fifteen minutes or so – simply enjoying the clear blue waters, the snowy sunbleached sand and the color of many palm trees. The island also had the 1 airstrip on San Blas, although the state of this runway made it seem as though it was derelict for several years. But flights came and abandoned the island regular for the funds some 45 minutes away.

I also met with a Spanish girl there traveling along with her husband. She had been intending to sailing with the ship was on throughout the Panama Canal and farther up into Central America. She also explained that this ship was attacked by pirates while just 3 kilometers in the volcano at Cartagena. She hadn’t been on board at the moment, but had heard it from the priest.

When I mentioned this to Tom, he stated that pirates frequently appeared at the seas around Panama and Colombia – although raids were more prevalent on the road between Venezuela and Trinidad. He added that the pirates approached little dug out canoes, very similar to those I’m sat in when creating the crossing from the mainland. Boats often mistook them for among those itinerant products selling ships which looked at most vents so made the mistake of permitting them to near the ship too readily.

He suggested that for all these reasons we’d be sailing away from land (because the pirates rarely ventured more than just a couple miles from the coast), traveling with minimal light during the night to prevent detection, and that we ought to advise him instantly of any other ships found in the horizon.

I spent the remainder of the day either relaxing the hammocks slung between the palm trees around the island, or even paddling a kayak involving the tiny islands across Porvenir. All these were inhabited by just a dozen or so individuals, living in the many reflective timber and reed homes.

We dined on the island, where I had the opportunity to discover a bit more about the folks I was traveling with. Adam and John were both eager walkers – and had improved a fantastic deal from the States, especially across Washington, Arizona and Minnesota.

The one thing I need to ensure it is perfect, is really a nice joint to puff on.”

John advised him that they hadn’t packed anything to smoke besides cigarettes – therefore he’d have to wait at least five days until he could appreciate one of these.

I welcomed the opportunity to sleep on deck that night – because it had been hot and stuffy in the ship, even though a warm balmy breeze was blowing across the bay in which the ship was moored. The carbon fiber wasn’t the most comfy bedding, but that was paid for by the sight of the nighttime skies swaying side to side round the mast as I lay in my back and drifted to sleep.

There were just a couple of hours of sailing the following day. First into the website of a shipwreck, and onto one of the populated islands called Isla Elephanta. It had been possible to snorkel from the seas around the mess, which has been home to several distinct types of tropical fish – many completely oblivious to human existence.

The ship was siphoned off Isla Elephanta, and the group people jumped the few hundred yards or so to land. We had been planning on swimming later that day, but throughout our stay there we discovered that a girl from among those other ships berthed there’d been attacked and humiliated by an unidentified monster during the prior night. This had abandoned her tooth marks on the two arms. A crocodile appeared probably – although it was not possible to say for certain.

The food was consistently excellent, though they always apologised to the fact that it was cooked. Both appeared to really go out of the way to make certain this was a joyful and relaxed set of travelers.

Again this proved an exceptional spot to snorkel round the reefs, as there was a wealth of animals from the oceans. You will find lots of various colourful tropical fish, which might be observed by simply putting the mask to the water. Highlights included a massive shoal are giant blue shining fish tracking throughout my path, an average appearing barracuda and four big bite beams and easily flapping their way through the entire world.

We’re also able to learn more about the little island. Although this appeared to be uninhabited, there was a tiny slender to constructed on the shore, and a little rowing boat stopped in the island for approximately half an hour prior to making its way ahead once again.

While not at the water swimming or exploringpool, we just relaxed on the ship – mostly studying. Nobody else appeared to discuss this view – and that we instead worried that they could be spending the upcoming few days limited in close quarters to somebody who seemed sympathetic to cannibalism.

We put out to Cartagena early the following day, expecting to achieve Cartagena in about 48 hours a week. To ensure swift advancement the ship was set below outboard engine power instead of sails, because the end at this period wasn’t particularly powerful.

A rota was drawn up, giving every individual 2hrs steering throughout the day and during the night time. My day change between 5 and 7pm was but gave me an perfect opportunity to get used to steering the ship. This needed to be carried out entirely from the compass that was connected to the windlass, because by now there was no land visible in almost any direction.

Everybody took their turns at this throughout the day. Kim believed it was exceptionally funny that we all wear a severe, focusing “game face” when we chose the wheel a focussed gaze, saying into the space, glancing every so often in the compass to make sure that we were on path.

I went to bed early because I’d have to be alert at 5 the next morning to take my turn in the wheel once again. I had been anticipating this, because I believed it would be quite enjoyable to sail in the sunrise as the sun came up.

In a brief while it started raining hard, and Tom drove me a watertight shirt to wear.

The wind started to pick up also, and also the lightning moved closer and became persistent. I asked Tom when we were planning to steer throughout the oncoming storm, and he responded that this wasn’t possible. The only alternative was ride directly through it. I also asked what could occur if the lightning struck the mast – and that the only answer was to state that I must pray it didn´t.

While he busied himself at the bows unwinding the jib sail and deliver the major sail into 3/4 open, I stayed in the sterm holding on the wheel, decided to keep up a steady course from the seas and choppy seas.

There was a fantastic deal more opposition in the wheel today when maneuvering the ship, and it took a certain quantity of force and determination to resist the irregular bouncing of these waves, which have been decided to pitch the ship from 1 side to another – often 10 to 15 degrees at one time.

Tom then cut the motor, and I asked him if this resulted from the fact that the sails were being used, so added power wasn’t vital. He responded that the engine was turned off since the suction pump at the tank was busted, so it was just feasible to use half of the available petrol. He wished to save the remainder before it was no more feasible to utilize the sails.

He explained that there was approximately 10 hours of gas left, and approximately 24 hours left to achieve Cartagena. In response to my query about what could happen if the wind stopped blowing, he just stated the fact there was sufficient food for 5 times as long as everybody was content with pasta – however that there may be a issue with toilet paper that would come to an end in two days.

The storm, rain and lightning lasted for approximately one hour or so, and the weather calmed very suddenly, although it was possible to see extreme black clouds on the horizon. Luckily the end continued so the ship made accelerated progress through the water.

When the shift has been finished I returned to doze a bit more, though it was daylight by today. Through the day everybody seemed exhausted and exhausted on account of the irregular sleeping routines, and energy levels have been generally low after a turn in the wheel was taken. All except Tom, who appeared to possess boundless energy – constantly beside the man in the wheel, adjusting the sails, or functioning under to try and fix the damaged engine.

I steered again throughout the day. The weather was calm, so most the change was uneventful. But, we’d laid out two fishing lines behind the rear of the ship, and upon reeling them we discovered we a captured a fish. It was a big, glowing dark blue carrot.

Tom made a knife in the kitchen struck the bass on the head with the handle, and started filleting it using the blade. There were shortly several big fresh tuna steaks ready, and we ate those raw, marinated with only a little lime juice. Adam, who was reading about Hannibal Lecter, appeared to get the fish especially yummy.

As day turned to night, a little ship was seen near the port bow. Everybody proceeded on deck to seem, because there was always the probability of pirates in those waters. When I asked Tom what had been occurring, he responded only that they had been coming for us. When I laughed, his sole answer was “So you believe I´m joking.”

The boat, however, proved benign and we passed safely by. Adam was at the helm by today, and that I stood watching the glowing green phosporescence beneath the seas, splashed up every so often from the waves from the sides of the ship.

The lights of a different ship were again found at the space, and nearly immediately these were creating the craft completely invisible.

Again a sharp view was kept for a while to test and sight the ship, again wondering whether its intentions may be hostile – but it had not been struck again.

After a few hours of effort, the motor appeared to running smoothly , and the ship quickened during the night into the port of Cartagena.

Add Comment